- 1 What can you do with Alterpages?
- 2 Get started with Alterpages
- 3 Using Alterpages
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- 4.1 I edited my HTML code but after some while the old code is back
- 4.2 How can I add some custom HTML code inside my page?
- 4.3 I added a widget, but it see it on all pages. Why?
- 4.4 I deleted the pages link and now my site isn't any more navigable
- 4.5 Can I install something else on my web space alongside with Alterpages?
- 4.6 Can I remove the "Edit" button on page bottom?
- 4.7 How can I add a background music?
- 4.8 How can I hide a page from the navigation menu?
- 4.9 Regenerate all pages, what should I do?
- 5 More help needed?
What can you do with Alterpages?
This short video explains you the main Alterpages features.
Alterpages includes many widgets to create a website:
- Basic widgets as Titles, Text and Images
- User interaction with comment box, contact form and chat
- Image widgets for slideshows and grid galleries
- Multimedia embed widgets for Youtube and Vimeo
- Social widgets for sharing and display content
Get started with Alterpages
To use Alterpages you have to create an Altervista hosting account.
After the registration process you can access your control panel, click on "Applications" on the main menu -> click the "Activate Alterpages" and after choosing some options you're ready to create your site.
Editing your site is very easy. Just navigate to the page you want to edit and click on the "Edit" button on page bottom. An alternate way to activate the edit mode is to press the CTRL+ENTER (or CMD+ENTER on Mac) key combination on your keyboard.
After the edit mode has started you can move your mouse pointer over the page areas and widgets and use the contextual menus to edit, add, delete and move widgets around the page.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Here the most common questions from our support forum.
I edited my HTML code but after some while the old code is back
Alterpages overwrites the pages HTML code every time some modification has done. So it is absolutely not recommended to do manually edit your pages' HTML code.
How can I add some custom HTML code inside my page?
You can add any code snippet pasting it inside an HTML widget.
I added a widget, but it see it on all pages. Why?
Widgets added to the Header, Sidebar and Footer page areas are visible on all pages. If you want to add a widget to only one page add it to the Content area.
You can move widgets from one area to another one by clicking on Options -> Move to other area.
The top navigation menu is a common Navigation widget. If deleted you can easily restore it added a new Navigation widgets to the page "Navigation area" or in the sidebar.
Can I install something else on my web space alongside with Alterpages?
Yes. Alterpages is just one of the applications you can install in your space. Other applications can be installed using the Altervista Control Panel or by manually uploading them in a separate folder.
To remove the button go in Edit mode -> Site (site icon) -> Edit button.
After that you have to start the Edit mode using the CTRL+ENTER (or CMD+ENTER) key combination.
Instead the Altervista link cannot be removed.
How can I add a background music?
Currently does not support background music. But you can add a player into a HTML widget.
Alterpages sites have as default the "Navigation" widget placed into the page navigation area. This widget displays all pages of your site. You can replace the widget with the "Advanced Navigation" widget that allows you to customize the menu by hiding certain pages and also by adding external pages.
Regenerate all pages, what should I do?
This Alterpages feature allows you to recreate all pages of your site. This is useful when you want to overwrite some manual HTML edits or to reset your site after something went wrong.
Just open the Edit mode -> Site (site icon) -> Regenerate site. Or from the Altervista Control Panel -> Alterpages -> Manage -> Regenerate site.
More help needed?
Tutorials and guides are available on the Alterpages demo website
For more specific help please visit our support forum